Refugees and political asylum beneficiaries who benefit from any form of protection in Romania shall be received for studies according to the following principles and regulations:
- Law no. 122/2006, regarding asylum in Romania, where article 20, paragraph (1) letter h mentions that "The recognition of the statute of refugee or the provision of protection grants the beneficiary the following rights: access to all forms of education, under the conditions stated by law for Romanian citizens".
- Ordinance no. 44/2004, version updated on 12/06/2007, regarding the social inclusion of foreigners who obtain some form of protection or the right of residence in Romania, as well as citizens in European Union countries, countries in the European Economic Area, where Section 3, Art. 9 specifies that "Access of foreigners who obtain some form of protection in Romania for all forms of education is made under the conditions set by law for Romanian citizens".
- Refugees and beneficiaries of political asylum who obtain some form of protection in Romania shall apply for studies during the admission periods stated for Romanian citizens, provided a Certificate / Attestation for the recognition and equivalence of studies graduated abroad is obtained from the National Centre for the Recognition and Equivalence of Diplomas (C.N.R.E.D.). The equivalence is made observing C.N.R.E.D. procedures, the same stated for citizens from European Union countries, countries from the European Economic Area and from the Swiss Confederation. Applicants benefiting of some form of protection in Romania selecting the Preparatory year for Romanian can be registered for studies without the obligation to submit a certificate / attestation for the recognition and equivalence of studies abroad, according to order no. 3165/04.02.2015 to approve the “Master Methodology concerning the organization of admission to bachelor, master and postgraduate university studies for the academic year 2015/2016”, as well as OMENCS no. 3107/2016 - amended by OMENCS 3755/2016 to approve the "Master Methodology regarding the admission to bachelor, master and postgraduate university studies for the academic year 2016/2017", where the obligation to submit the certificate for the recognition of studies carried out outside Romania in not mentioned to apply for the Preparatory year and no mention concerning this exists. In this sense, no such details are present in the Order of Ministry No. 6121/20.12.2016 or in the Order of Ministry No.434/22.05.2018. Consequently, C.N.R.E.D. shall issue no attestation for the application for the Preparatory year in Romanian.
More information in this sense can be accessed at the following link
- Applicants from EU third countries, holders of a residence permit in Romania "member of a Romanian citizen family" (after marriage to a Romanian citizen, for instance) or holders of a long term residence permit, on grounds of GO no. 194/12.12.2002 regarding the Conditions of foreigners in Romania, have the same rights for studies, including in financial terms, as Romanian citizens and shall participate to the admission process organised for the latter.
- Vacancies for studies without the payment of tuition fees and without scholarship can be issued to the following category of people according to the Methodology for receiving to studies foreign citizens on vacancies without the payment of tuition fees and with a scholarship and without the payment of tuition fees, but without a scholarship in the accredited higher education institutions in Romania from the 10.02.2017, Chapter I, Art. 2: To citizens who request or have obtained a form of asylum in Romania or to the stateless who have obtained the right to stay in Romania, they are exempted from paying the tuition fee for the Preparatory Year in Romanian language.
Useful linkshttps://www.cnred.edu.ro/en/preuniversity-studies https://www.cnred.edu.ro/en/higher-education